Sunday, July 11, 2021

PAC Tour 2021 - Day 2 Sedro-Woolley to Winthrop, WA

 Garmin

Check out my cycling activity on Garmin Connect. #beatyesterday
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/7110329849


Relive

Check out PAC Tour 2021 Day 2  Sedro-Woolley to Winthrop on Relive!
https://www.relive.cc/view/vJOKgkWo4wO

Today, it seems like a lot went on and nothing at the same time.  Nearly 8 hours riding time and it could have been a lot longer except for a favorable tailwind coming down off Washington Pass for about 25 miles.  Tailwinds can be both good and bad at the same time.  Good in that it pushes you along...and bad that one doesn’t get any cooling effect like a headwind....making a hot day even hotter.  Temps were in the low 70’s until we hit Lake Diablo and the real climbing began.  Then it rose steadily to the high 90’s as we climbed and felt the heat from Eastern Washington.  The last stretch was exacerbated by nearby forest fires and the resulting smoke.  Wasn’t bad but it did turn the sunlight into a rosy glow.

I don’t know if it’s my paranoia, but it seems like whenever I feel a soreness or pain somewhere, I’m thinking the worst....that this is the injury that could cause me to not ride.  I think every endurance rider has these fears.  For me, it’s a persistent pain to the side of my right Achilles Heal.  I can put pressure on the pedals but the pain is always there when I think about it.  And sometimes my hamstrings feel tight at times and I’m afraid that I’ll overstretch them....but the show goes on.  Today after the ride, I got a 25 minute leg massage from one of the Peruvian young women who are crewing theTour.  (More on that in a latter blog).  Don’t know if it helped but it can’t hurt:)

Staying in a nice rustic cabin like motel outside of Winthrop.  The crew order lots of pizzas for the riders so we didn’t have to venture out.  Nice relaxing dinner while drinking seemingly gallons of Coke, recovery Hammer drink, and water. Funny that I only have to get up once in the night to pee. I know that’s tmi but it’s a fact of the effort taken in heat and hydrating oneself.

Tomorrow should be another hot day but “only” 102 miles so we’re leaving after 7:30.  Hopefully the leg feels better and I won’t be continually worried about it.

Early to bed....actually to watch YouTube recaps of the TdF (Tour d’France) and then sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment