Monday, July 12, 2021

PAC Tour 2021 - Day 3 Winthrop to Coulee Dam, WA

 Garmin

Check out my cycling activity on Garmin Connect. #beatyesterday
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/7115636230

Relive

Check out PAC Tour 2021 Day 3  Winthrop to Coulee City on Relive!
https://www.relive.cc/view/vWqBn5jWyQq


Today was one of the toughest days on the bike.  It’s really hard to push the pedals, especially on steep inclines, when there is no shade and the temps were in the range of 100f to 110f....not to mention the heat coming off the tarmac/road.  Anyway, I got through it by drinking lots at each rest stop, taking a couple of electrolyte tablets at each stop, and filling up a tube sock filled with ice cubes that draped around my neck and let melt/drip through my cycling jersey and into my cycling shorts.  Believe me, it does wonders and feel so great for about 5 to 10 miles (upwards of 40 minutes) before it’s all melted.  The only downside is that the melt mixes in with my sweat so it can leave a lot of white salt deposits on my black shorts.  Looks a lot worse than it is.

For data geeks, my Garmin shows my average power was only 134 watts (usually in the 170 to 190 range) indicating that I was spinning more than pushing down hard the pedals.  Also the Garmin has a suggested recovery time after each ride....for the first time it suggested 4 days!  Up until now, suggested recovery times were always in hours...not days.   But there’s no days off on this Tour, so we ride tomorrow starting at 6:30 to “beat” the heat on our way to Spokane and a Holiday Inn Express...yea!  Mind you, it’s forecasted to be 77f at 6:30 so I don’t think we will be beating anything except our selves.

BTW...all my aches and pains did not manifest themselves today.  Lucky me, but still a bit sore and tired.  We’ll see what a good nights sleep will do for recovery.

Enjoy the Relive video and pics....they tell the story better than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment